With fighting continuing in southeastern Ukraine, officials are urging civilians to evacuate the area. This is being done in order to ensure the safety of both civilians and military personnel. Below are live updates on the Russia Ukraine situation.
Ukraine has urged its citizens in the southeastern region of Bakhmut to evacuate as fighting between government forces and Russian-backed separatists intensifies. The Ukrainian military says it has killed scores of rebels in recent days and is now within five kilometers of the town, which sits on a key highway linking the rebel-held city of Donetsk with the strategic port city of Mariupol. The United States has warned Russia that any military action against civilians could lead to international condemnation.
Bakhmut civilians urged to evacuate
Civilians in the town of Bakhmut, located in eastern Ukraine, have been urged to evacuate by officials as fighting between government forces and pro-Russian separatists continues. Pro-Russian separatists have been reported to be making gains in the area recently, and as a result, civilian safety is now increasingly becoming a concern. Officials are asking those who are able to do so to leave the town immediately in order to avoid being caught up in the ongoing conflict. Those who choose not to evacuate may face possible danger if they remain in the town.
Ukraine government urges civilians to leave east Ukraine
Ukraine’s government is urging civilians to leave the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, where fighting between government forces and pro-Russian separatists has intensified in recent days. Officials say that Bakhmut, a small town near Donetsk, is particularly at risk of being overrun by the separatists. The Ukrainian military has been unable to stop the advance of the separatists, who are believed to have received reinforcements from Russia. Bakhmut is home to about 1,500 people. Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned that Kiev’s military operation in eastern Ukraine could lead to a “catastrophe” for civilians.
Russia military warns of ‘massive’ retaliation if peacekeeping forces attacked
Since the start of the Ukrainian conflict, Russian officials have repeatedly warned that they will retaliate militarily if peacekeeping forces are attacked in eastern Ukraine. On Thursday, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said that Moscow has prepared retaliatory measures “in mass” if such an attack occurs.
Speaking to journalists on a trip to Tajikistan, Shoigu said that Russia is “ready for massive retaliation” if its troops are hit byUkrainian artillery or missiles. “If we see any independent actions by international organizations aimed at undermining the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Russian Federation, then Russia will take corresponding retaliatory measures in mass,” Shoigu said.
The Russian military has made similar threats in the past, but there has been little evidence to support them. In particular, there have been no reports of peacekeeping forces being targeted so far. Nevertheless, the threat underscores just how serious Moscow is about ensuring that its troops are not endangered in Ukraine.
Meanwhile, officials in eastern Ukraine have urged civilians to evacuate their homes as tensions continue to escalate between Kiev and pro-Russian separatists. On Thursday, the head of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic urged residents to leave their cities before it is too late. Sergey Ivanov said that Kiev’s military offensive plans mean that “there is only one chance left” for civilians to leave without being killed or captured by separatist forces.
Ivanov’s warning comes as government forces close in on several key
Officials are urging Bakhmut civilians to evacuate as fighting continues in the area. There is still no word on casualties or damage so far, but officials warn that the situation may only get worse. Stay updated with Russia Ukraine live updates for the latest news and developments.